8/02/2010

Top Travel Tips from My Grandmother Phoebe

Grandmother Phoebe & Me at 14 yrs. old
Sitting on the plane this week I find myself thinking about my Grandmother Phoebe Hocken and the impact she had on me.


My Grandfather died when he crashed his plane; my dad, uncle and aunt were still very young. Grandma took a job managing the books for Del Smith, a local pilot with a crop-dusting service. His business grew and eventually became Evergreen Helicopters of McMinnville, OR, where she worked and provided for her family. She was at Del’s side until her retirement, and was referred to as “The First Lady of Evergreen” at her funeral. All I wanted when I was young was to be like her – an independent, professional businesswoman with quick wit, taylored suits and Italian shoes who travelled around the world meeting interesting people.


As I look around on the plane I smile thinking about the Top Travel Tips she taught me once when flying me home in a Cessna from a weekend we spent together.


• “Always request the window. You won’t have to get up, or get bumped by those coming down the aisle.”
• “If you’re not upgrading to First Class, sit on the wing. You’ll feel less turbulence.”
• “Have a book in your purse, start reading the moment you’re seated to avoid unwanted dialog.”
• “Never take off your shoes. Your feet will swell and you won’t get them back on. Besides, it’s rude.”
• “Always carry and drink water to stay hydrated.”
• “Keep breath-freshening gum in your handbag. It helps alleviate pressure in your ears, and you can share with the occupant of the seat next to you if they need it.”
• “A day in the forced air of a plane can dry out your skin like two weeks in Saudi Arabia. Moisturize before you fly and within three hours after you land.”
• “Bring toiletries and one suit in your carry-on in case the airline loses you luggage.”

As I sit in my window seat on the wing, I take a drink of water, pop a piece of gum in my mouth and open my book. My Italian shoes are on my feet, and my suit neatly folded in my bag along with plenty of moisturizer. On my right hand is Grandma’s antique onyx and diamond ring; it was on her finger since I can remember first putting my hand in hers. How much I loved her, how much I have become like her.

I wonder if Grandma knew how closely I was listening that day on our flight together, if she foresaw how much her example would impact even the smallest behaviors in my life. We should be constantly mindful of the power of influence we have, people are always watching and learning – especially the children.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers